On April 4, 1893, Bicknell Manufacturing Company was incorporated as the Livingston Manufacturing Company, producing stone cutting tools for Maine's coastal and island quarries, which, at the time, led the nation in the production of granite. Fred J. Bicknell served as its first general manager, from 1893 to his retirement in 1927. Under his leadership, the firm acquired several smaller companies and expanded both its product line and sales throughout the country. Putnam P. Bicknell succeeded his father as general manager in 1923, and went on to become the company's president in 1928. On December 31, 1930, the name of the company was changed to Bicknell Manufacturing Company in recognition of the valuable contributions made by Fred J. Bicknell.
As Maine's coastal and island granite quarry production had begun to diminish, a southern sales outlet for stone and supplies was open in Elberton, Georgia in 1930. Prompt shipments of its product are made from the largest inventory of stone cutting tools and supplies in the country. Manufacturing and sales also, continued in Rockland, Maine. Upon Putnam Bicknell's retirement from the company in 1950, his sons' William and David Bicknell, took over management of the company. Under their leadership, the company grew and diversified to reach its present status. After William Bicknell's retirement in 1985, David Bicknell continued to maintain the growth of the business and to groom the fourth generation of Bicknell's to manage the company. David Bicknell's son, Bruce Bicknell is well positioned to lead the company into the future.
On February 22nd, 1996, Bicknell sold its manufacturing plant in Rockland, Maine and became Bicknell Supply Company. Bicknell Supply Company intends to grow without compromising its commitment to product quality and customer satisfaction, a successful formula for 1893 through the present. The company now manufactures stencil machines, automatic abrasive blasters and other items in Elberton for the stone and monument industry.